Just last night I came across the term ASMR for the first time. ASMR-research.org describes it as follows:
Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs.
Common external triggers:
- Exposure to slow, accented, or unique speech patterns
- Viewing educational or instructive videos or lectures
- Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event
- Enjoying a piece of art or music
- Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.
- Close, personal attention from another person
- Haircuts, or other touch from another on head or back
This is something I have experienced throughout my life. It never occurred to me that some people never have this experience…that my experience was at all unique.
A note on wikipedia leads me to wonder whether this may be related to personality. Wikipedia references a buzzfeed article on why music gives you the chills (i.e. frisson):
Many experts seem to draw a distinction between the two as well. David Huron, Professor at the School of Music at Ohio State University, says ASMR is not the same as frisson. “The [ASMR] effect is clearly strongly related to the perception of non-threat and altruistic attention,” says Huron, who notes that there’s a strong similarity to physical grooming in primates. “Non-human primates derive enormous pleasure (bordering on euphoria) when being groomed by a grooming partner.” And, says Huron, they groom each other not to get clean, but rather to bond with each other.
This is exactly the kind of attention that the INTP craves but does know how to elicit from others. INTPs tend to distance themselves socially, not necessarily because they are unemotional, but rather because the emotional behaviors that most people offer seem so pointless and inappropriate.
However, INTPs all tend to prefer small groups (similar in size to non-human primate tribes), and even more so prefer deep one-on-one communication to any kind of group interaction. The experience of having someone’s attention deeply focused on you - in the right way - is highly pleasurable. The fact that INTPs so rarely succeed in locating this kind of attention would only make it that much pleasurable on those occasions when it is discovered.
So I’m curious, who has experienced ASMR and what is your type?
Is there a particular pattern or theme to the stimuli that elicit it?
- theghoulgonewild likes this
- gemworthy likes this
- neptunerain reblogged this from plumbingthedepths and added:
- neptunerain answered:I am an INTP/ISTP, and for me this reaction is triggered by either profound realizations, spiritual music, or someone playing with my hair.
- sirgrumpygills likes this
- everlasting-evolution likes this
- softskinnedmermaid likes this
- exonev likes this
- slacker-assassin reblogged this from plumbingthedepths and added:
- lanirains reblogged this from plumbingthedepths
- lanirains likes this
- wolvesliewaiting reblogged this from plumbingthedepths
- wolvesliewaiting likes this
- sydney-piggly likes this
- freakishgenius likes this
- rough-sketch likes this
- tanyuki reblogged this from plumbingthedepths and added:
- roisinblah likes this
- minevras reblogged this from plumbingthedepths
- mautlan likes this
- mallninjacode reblogged this from plumbingthedepths and added:
- universityrumtour answered:INTJ - huge effect on me
- tao-of-charlesome likes this
- definitelynoteffy likes this
- deepchrome likes this
- paralaxperspective likes this
- simuliert reblogged this from plumbingthedepths and added:
- adas7ra reblogged this from plumbingthedepths
- fearisforsissies likes this
- fearisforsissies reblogged this from the-cat-is-called-hamish
- cubicalcranium reblogged this from plumbingthedepths
- the-cat-is-called-hamish reblogged this from plumbingthedepths
- sspeakup likes this
- verauko likes this
- svejepovezano reblogged this from plumbingthedepths
- plumbingthedepths posted this